Wednesday, June 14, 2006

expectations- who needs them?


Have you ever had someone that you love and trust convince you to do something that you find to be particuarly difficult and painful?

But you decide to step out in faith and break through the pain barrier in the belief that you are going to face the obsticle together.

They tell you that they have your back and are supporting you all the way.....

But when you turn around , they are completely out of sight


Prehaps one of the biggest problems that occur in friendships and all other relationships can be put down to simply setting expectations that just don't cut it .

Maybe we set our expectations too high and find that the other person can't be there for us as much as we'd would like to be .

How can a person be a 100% friend to everyone when they are busy and have to focus energy and effort on other areas ?

They can't .
People after all are just human and everybody tries their best.
some people try harder than others , that is true because some people are naturally hard workers: it is in their nature.

I am an example of that ....
I believe in hard work and feel great once i have achieved the rewards.
i believe that good friendships are obtained by putting the hard work and getting to know the other person which can be very hard.
i struggle because i have real issues with trust because of the negative relationships that i have experienced in the past.

some of us set expectations that are prehaps too low .
We may be suprised when our friends do something great or something that really touches us personally .
Setting low expectations aren't good either.
If you can't believe in your friends, they will begin to see it.
Not expecting much from your friends is a good way to ensure that your friendship doesn't grow .
It is good to respect personal barriers and to know when enough is enough
some people need their personal space
and that is perfectly natural.
It is another thing to hold back and not get close to them.

My life has been all about expectations.
People expected me to be a certain way
and so i began living as the person that i thought people wanted me to be .

I had expectations of other people to treat me as nothing.
and where people didn't expect me to be a certain way i used to feel that there was something wrong.

I set impossible expectations of myself in the belief that i had to be perfect for everbody else.
But god has shown me through his grace and love that i can be myself because he love me just the way i am .

Expectations- who needs them?
well we all do
although they can sometimes be negative
They give us something to strive for

There have times where i have accepted the challenge of going foward and stepping out in faith and my trusted friend has not been there to meet as they said they would be .....

Let me tell you,
that was such a painful blow because i am only just begginning how to trust again and i am still recovering for painful relationships.

But the one thing that God reminds me is that my trusted friend is only human .
relationships with people are great
but the best realtionship you can ever have is with god.

The bible says (i don't know where abouts exacly)
'if you make a promise to God, don't delay in following through because god takes no delight in fools.'

The next time my friend convinces me to step out in faith and i have said yes i must be true to my word.

When i turn around and they are not with me .....
I must trust in god and believe that he is going to meet me .
I also must learnt to believe and trust in myself,
as much as i love and trust in my friend i must remember that they are not always going to be there to catch me when i fall.
It is not their fault , i am sure and i am hoping that the times when they hurt me are not intentional.

It can be painful when people let you down
but forgiveness is key.

Maybe i should'nt set my expectations too high .

I am still learning

1 comment:

Miss Tsang said...

wow..amazing insight Kat :)

Friendships are so important... its like the whole cross thing.. Upwards: relationship with God and Across: relationship with other believers.

people aren't perfect and they can let us down even when they don't mean to.. but neither are we,.. And its through people we are going to grow and be challenged. If everyone was lovely, perfect and so loveable then how can I really be challenged to love people like Jesus? Its when people are hard to love that really challenges us to demonstrate the character he wants us to have. :)